On August 22 local time, the American magazine The Atlantic published a commentary titled "How to Lose a Trade War: Trump's Bullying of Canada is Failing." The article argues that U.S. President Donald Trump is at a disadvantage in the trade conflict with Canada, as his threats and pressure against Ottawa have not been effective.
The article points out that although Canada's economic size is much smaller than that of the United States, its government is more rational and capable of effectively protecting national interests during trade conflicts. Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau has a higher popularity than Trump, and Canadians have become united due to their distrust of Washington. At the same time, the American public is facing an increasing national debt, high interest rates, and an energy crisis.
The Atlantic Monthly believes that Trump's inability to accept the fact that "war depends not only on strength but also on endurance" led to his defeat in the conflict with Iran, and it was also a major reason for his defeat in the trade disputes.

Source Image: Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau and U.S. President Trump. IC Photo
Previously, according to reports from the British 'Financial Times' and CNN, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced on August 22 local time that Ottawa had suspended trade negotiations with the United States and would implement a ‘dollar-for-dollar’ countermeasure against the new U.S. tariffs. He accused U.S. President Donald Trump of misjudging Canada's determination, stating that the two countries were in fact already engaged in a trade war.
"When you are attacked, you are in the midst of war, and we have already been attacked." Kane said to reporters in Ottawa on that day. He stated that Trump underestimated Canada's ability to bear economic difficulties, which ultimately led to trade wars escalating further."
On the same day, U.S. Trade Representative Robert Greenlees said that it is 'hard to say' whether negotiations between the United States and Canada can get back on track.
"We have no plans for new negotiations," Griel said in an interview with Fox News, "we will continue to act on the measures taken against us by Canada."
He also said that the breakdown of negotiations was “a missed opportunity for Canada,” and insisted that the proposal put forward by the US was “the most favorable treatment that the United States can offer to any major exporting country.” He stated that the White House will provide Trump with further policy options to deal with Canada’s countermeasures, in order to “restore a level playing field.”