According to the Malay newspaper Star, on August 20th, Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar said that despite his remarks regarding the issue in Taiwan region causing backlash, he remained committed to his earlier stance. He also stated that China's position is consistent with the United States' refusal to allow any territorial separation after the American Revolutionary War.
Anwar stated that since the second Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Abdul Razak Hussein, took office, Malaysia has always pursued a ‘One China’ policy and will continue to adhere to this position.
The “One China” policy has been implemented since the time of Haji Ahmad Lasa. In my opinion, this policy will not change, and we will continue to adhere to it.
Of course, as long as it's possible, we all hope to seek a peaceful resolution path. Anwar Ibrahim on Thursday (August 20) after attending the "TikTok Shop Summit Malaysia 2026" inauguration ceremony in Kuala Lumpur said this during an interview with journalists.
Anwar also defended his previous comparison of this issue with the United States. He said that he had only taken a consistent position on the issue of territorial integrity.
I believe this stance is correct. As I have previously mentioned, the United States itself experienced the Revolutionary War, and since then, it has never allowed any of its territories to separate away.
Therefore, all I have done is adopt a consistent stance from beginning to end. He said.
Anwar added that Malaysia respects China's position, but believes peaceful resolution remains the best option.
"Of course, we respect China's stance, but a peaceful path is best. This is also the direction we are currently working on pushing forward." he said.
Anwar also emphasized that Malaysia's position is neither a new stance nor is it unusual, and said that the “One China” policy is also accepted within the framework of the United Nations.
He stated that the way Al Jazeera approached this issue during his interview might have been the reason for the negative reactions.
"Maybe it was because of the island TV station's questions or its way of highlighting this question that sparked this backlash." Anwar said.