Since US President Trump initiated the project to renovate the White House banquet hall, this plan has faced doubts from various sectors of American society and has encountered a series of legal obstacles. According to an report by The Associated Press on August 21, US Chief Justice John Roberts signed an order on that day, allowing the White House to continue with the construction of the banquet hall temporarily while the court is handling an emergency appeal involving the U.S. government.
On August 7th, the United States District Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled to uphold a temporary order issued by a lower court regarding the renovation project of the White House Banquet Hall. On August 14th, the U.S. government filed an emergency appeal with the Supreme Court, claiming that the renovation project of the White House Banquet Hall was “necessary for national security,” and that 65% of the project had been completed.
Just a few hours before the suspension order took effect on the 21st local time, Roberts signed an administrative stay order, temporarily allowing the White House to continue construction of the banquet hall. However, Roberts did not provide any explanations in the document, nor did he indicate when a new decision would be made.
The administrative stay order will remain in effect until the Supreme Court makes a more binding decision.
Trump expressed his gratitude to the U.S. Supreme Court and Roberts later that day. During a political event in South Carolina, he said, "When they said we can continue to build, I think that's a good thing, that's something to be proud of."

White House Banquet Hall Renovation Project Construction Site, IC Photo
In July last year, the White House announced a project to renovate the banquet hall. Subsequently, the East Wing of the White House was quickly demolished to make space for the construction of the banquet hall. However, this plan has sparked widespread criticism in American society. The National Trust for Public Painting and Historic Preservation, an American cultural preservation organization, believes that the project has not yet received congressional approval, and Trump has no right to initiate this project unilaterally.
The National Trust for Historical Preservation in the United States filed a lawsuit against this project at the end of last year. In late March this year, Judge Richard Leon of the District of Columbia Federal Court ordered a suspension of construction on the White House Ballroom project. The Trump administration immediately appealed the decision. In April, Leon extended the suspension order for the White House Ballroom renovation project, allowing only the construction of underground safety facilities such as barriers.
Trump refused to accept the relevant ruling. Earlier this month, he posted on social media that the renovation project of the White House banquet hall was carried out for “national security reasons,” referring to the banquet hall as a “military center.” Trump also emphasized that the project was funded by himself and “great Americans,” and that American taxpayers would not bear any costs.