Spike News

Meloni Breaks Silence on Trump Relationship, Tensions Remain High

In an interview published in The New York Times on August 21, Italian Prime Minister Meloni spoke about her relationship with U.S. President Donald Trump.

"It is clear, regarding Donald Trump, I had assumed things would be easier, as we have common ground on immigration and cultural awakening issues," said Meroine. "But the result has not been the case."

She then expressed her views on the recent tense relations between the United States and Italy.

According to reports, the tensions between the two governments reached their peak before the NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey, in July this year.

At that time, Trump posted a photo on social media showing Meloni looking up at him, accompanied by the caption “A restraining order is needed.” With this post, Trump indicated his intention to keep a greater distance from Meloni.

Meloni Breaks Silence on Trump Relationship, Tensions Remain High

Social Media Screenshots

In the interview, she said that she hadn’t been in contact with Trump for several weeks.

When asked about any plans for a meeting in the near future, she gave a vague answer: “We will wait and see.” She added, “I still believe that unity among the West is very important,” but she would not “decide Italy’s strategy based on personal relationships.”

Merloni reiterated her previous stance: “I don’t like the idea of Italy considering itself inferior and submissive to others.” She expressed her determination to promote “the greatest revolution possible in this country: a revolution about pride.”

In January 2025, Merloni was the only major European leader attending Trump’s second presidential inauguration.

But since the outbreak of the war between the United States, Israel, and Iran at the end of February this year, the relationship between the two countries has deteriorated rapidly. Italy's decision to stay out of the conflict has caused dissatisfaction among Trump.

Last month, Trump stated in an interview that during the G7 summit, Meron "begged" to meet with him alone and take a photo together. Trump said, "She begged to take a photo with me. I agreed out of sympathy."

Meloni later released a video in response, stating that Trump's claims were "pure fabrication." She said that she and Italy "never beg for anything" from anyone.