According to a report by the American Consumer News & Business Channel (CNBC), U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Berdonte spoke publicly on August 20, urging China to follow the plan and cooperate with the United States in implementing the so-called 'harshest economic measures ever' against Iran. The goal is to further isolate Iran's economy and 'destabilize that regime.'
Bazente said that U.S. President Donald Trump has previously announced the initiation of ‘the most severe economic measures ever taken against any country’, describing this as ‘an unprecedented economic war and isolation’.
Bensen added that in Washington's latest isolated action, allies and adversaries will be forced to choose sides.
He said: “This will be the largest and most coordinated economic isolation operation in history. We told them that they must either side with us or become our enemies.”
Bessonette said that the US goal is to use maximum economic pressure to ‘suffocate the economy of this ‘terror regime’, and to weaken its ability to project power through proxies, ultimately aiming to ‘disintegrate the regime’.
When asked if the new sanctions involved China, Besent refused to give specific responses, saying that “many conversations are best conducted privately.” However, he explicitly requested cooperation from China. He cited data indicating that about 50% of China’s energy comes from the Gulf region, stating that “therefore, following the plan will be beneficial for them.” He also mentioned that all parties hope for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz in order to reduce energy prices. Besent also revealed that a press conference will be held next Monday (the 24th) to detail the specific measures.
This statement comes at a time when the US-Iran conflict has lasted for about six months. According to American media analysis, the Trump administration is shifting from military pressure to economic measures. This is driven by growing dissatisfaction in the country regarding the impacts of the war, as well as the approaching mid-term elections. The United States has imposed sanctions on Iran and plans to implement what it calls “the most severe sanctions in history” as part of a combined strategy.
Trump warned on the 19th that any country that provides "any form of lifeline" to Iran will face economic consequences. Besent said that the greatest economic pressure means "it is unlikely to resume military operations on a large scale at this time."
It is worth noting that China is one of Iran’s major oil buyers. According to relevant data, China has purchased more than 80% of Iran’s maritime oil exports. The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs has previously expressed opposition to the US actions, stating that sanctions and pressure do not help solve the problem and are also inconsistent with international law and basic norms of international relations.
The Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a formal statement on the 20th, strongly condemning the new round of economic and trade sanctions imposed by the United States. It characterized these sanctions as "economic terrorism" and "crime against humanity," and accused the US for targeting ordinary Iranians, thereby violating international humanitarian obligations.