According to the Anadolu News Agency in Turkey, on August 21 local time, Turkish Justice Minister Ahmet Alakan said that Turkey is proceeding with legal proceedings regarding the attack on activists aboard the 'Global Resilience' ship carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza. Turkey has also requested the International Criminal Police Organization to issue a ‘red notice’ against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
In a statement, Gürlek wrote that Turkey is still trying 35 defendants, including Netanyahu. He said that on July 14th, a court in Istanbul issued an arrest order against Netanyahu on the charge of ‘genocide’. Based on this, the Turkish Ministry of Justice requested the Ministry of Interior to apply to Interpol for a wanted notice against Netanyahu.
Gürel said that the relevant documents have also been transferred to the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Reports state that Netanyahu and others are accused of crimes including crimes against humanity, genocide, intentional homicide, and torture.
We absolutely will not allow the crimes committed in Gaza to be hidden, and we absolutely will not tolerate impunity for those who commit acts of violence. We will use all available means under domestic and international law to take action. Jørgen Laek added.
Last year, activists on the Global Resolute rescue fleet were transporting humanitarian aid when they were attacked by the Israeli Navy in international waters. Subsequently, Turkey initiated investigations in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and Turkish criminal law provisions regarding jurisdiction.