Spike News

U.S. Justice Department Launches New Process for Felons Seeking Gun Rights Restoration

According to a report by The Wall Street Journal on August 18th, U.S. Attorney Todd Blanch is initiating a new process that will allow individuals who have lost their gun rights due to felony convictions to apply for the restoration of those rights.

The U.S. Department of Justice stated that the new regulations announced on Monday are expected to lead to a large number of people who were previously prohibited from possessing firearms submitting applications. It is estimated that in the first year of implementation of the plan, approximately 330,000 people will apply to the U.S. Department of Justice.

Brunchi said, “The rights protected by the Second Amendment are not second-class rights. The federal government should not permanently deprive American citizens of their constitutional rights without considering whether they pose a threat to public safety.”

He added, “This regulation establishes a strict and reasonable process that not only protects public safety, but also provides avenues for Americans who deserve this opportunity to regain their rights.”

The so-called Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states that “a well-disciplined militia is necessary to secure a free state, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon.” This represents the American people’s right to have and carry weapons.

Previously, U.S. federal law prohibited criminals who had been sentenced to more than one year of imprisonment from possessing firearms. This prohibition also applies to fugitives, those who entered the country illegally, disgraced veterans, and those convicted of domestic violence.

The United States Department of Justice stated that the new regulations will still prohibit undocumented immigrants and registered sex offenders and violent criminals from possessing firearms. According to estimates by the Department of Justice, approximately 30 million people across the United States are prohibited from owning firearms due to criminal convictions.

In the past, individuals with a criminal record could regain their right to carry firearms if they were granted immunity. However, last year, the U.S. Department of Justice fired the official responsible for granting immunity because he opposed granting Ray Miller, an actor, this right—a man who had pleaded not guilty to domestic violence charges in 2011.

Previously, there was another way in the federal level for individuals to regain their right to carry firearms. However, Congress has prohibited the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from exercising authority over handling such applications for many years.

Last year, the U.S. Department of Justice removed the bureau’s role from this process. Under the new regulations, the authority to restore gun rights has been assigned to the Office of the Attorney General. Applications are expected to begin being accepted in about a month.

Regarding this, American netizens sarcastically said: "I think Trump is right—the United States is severely lacking fully equipped violent criminals!"