According to NBC and The Guardian, U.S. President Trump said to the media on August 17 local time that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un had responded to his request for 'dialogue'.
According to reports, that day, a journalist asked Trump why Kim Jong-un did not respond to his request for dialogue. Trump said, “How do you know he didn’t respond?”
Reporter asked, "Has he responded?"
Trump paused for a moment before saying: "Yes, he responded."
When asked about the stage of the conversation with Kim Jong Un, Trump said, “It is very positive,” but did not provide any further details.
He stated, “Kim Jong-un has always respected me very much.” “I understand him, and he also understands me.”
Subsequently, Trump stated, "South Korea has always been under our protection."
He once again criticized South Korea for refusing to intervene in the war between the United States and Iran, saying that the United States “has stationed soldiers there to protect you from neighboring countries’ harm, yet in such a simple military operation against Iran, you refuse to offer assistance. It’s really strange.”
Trump said: "I just want fairness."
NBC reported that the United States and South Korea are close allies. On the 16th, Trump announced that he had ordered a “significant reduction” in the scale of joint military exercises with South Korea. He mentioned that he has a good relationship with Kim Jong Un, and accused South Korea of not participating in the war against Iran.
On August 17th, local time, an official from the Cheong Wa Dae, the presidential palace of South Korea, responded by saying that South Korea and the United States have always maintained close coordination regarding the maintenance of a strong joint defense posture, as well as joint military exercises and training activities. They will continue to cooperate on related matters in the future.
The official stated that he hopes the friendly relations between North Korean and American leaders can be transformed into meaningful dialogue between the two countries, and that discussions to promote peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula can begin. To this end, South Korea will work closely with the United States and act as a ‘mediator’ to carry out necessary diplomatic efforts.
In addition, the official stated regarding the Middle Eastern conflicts that the South Korean side has been actively participating in international discussions aimed at promoting a ceasefire in Iran and restoring free navigation in the Strait of Hormuz. Considering various factors such as the tense situation on the Korean Peninsula and domestic legal procedures, South Korea is closely consulting with the United States regarding practical military contribution plans.
According to reports, the South Korean and American military launched a routine joint exercise codenamed “UFS” on the 17th, which will continue until the 27th. This year’s exercise will draw upon combat and training experiences derived from recent analysis of warfare patterns. The scale of the South Korean military participation is similar to previous years, with approximately 1.8 thousand participants. During the exercise, 14 operations of the ‘Field Training Exercise’ (FTX) at the battalion level or above are planned to be conducted, a reduction compared to last year’s 17 operations.
The 8th Army of US forces stationed in Korea announced on the 14th that this exercise included rapid deployment and preparation procedures for Army Prepositioning Storage Task Force 4 (APS-4). The purpose was to demonstrate that the South-Korean-US alliance can quickly deploy forces within the First Island Chain and seize key terrain. However, Ryan Donald, the director of public affairs for US forces stationed in Korea, stated during a press conference on the 10th that this exercise did not include any content related to regional threats. He explained that the UFS was designed to address the security threats faced by the Korean Peninsula.